By: Seth Resler
Jacobs Media Strategies
As Facebook has tweaked its algorithm in response to outside pressure, radio stations — as well as businesses generally — have reported a significant decline in engagement. One hope for stations looking to stem the tide has been to try and use Facebook’s Stories feature, which allows users to publish videos or photo collections that only last for 24 hours. Business pages, such as those used by radio stations and radio personalities, can publish stories from the Facebook mobile app.
Facebook has announced that those stories can now include short music clips. Here’s how to do it:
1) On your phone, open the Facebook app.
2) Navigate to your Facebook page (usually by searching for it then clicking on it in the results).
3) Scroll down until you see the “Your Page’s Story” section. Click on “Create a Story.”
4) At the bottom of the screen, select either “Boomerang” (for a series of quick shots) or “Video.”
5) Click the big round white button and record. (You may want to switch cameras for a selfie shot.)
6) When you’ve stopped recording, click the sticker icon at the top of the screen.
7) Push the “Music” button.
8) Search for a song and click the blue “Add” button.
9) Select the portion of the song you want to use by scrolling left or right.
10) In the top right corner, click “Done.”
11) In the lower right corner, click the “Next” button.
12) Decide if you want to share this to Your Story (it will last for 24 hours and anybody can see it), as a Post (it will stay up unless you remove it, but you can select the audience), or both. Then click the blue button in the lower right corner.
Your Story will now appear at the top of the feed for fans of your page.
The hope is that by creating Stories, owners of Facebook Pages will have an easier time reaching their fans. For posts that will age quickly then become irrelevant to your fans, consider posting to your Stories instead of clogging up your feed. For example, you may want to post videos of contest winners or street team stops to your Stories so these posts will disappear after 24 hours.
For more assistance on digital or social media, contact MAB Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-968-7622.
Editor’s Note: The views and opinions of this article do not necessarily reflect those of the MAB. Contact the MAB for information on the MAB’s official editorial policy.